We've Got Answers
Data Virtualization - FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About Data Virtualization
Data virtualization solves the problem of data sharing and data access across various platforms throughout an enterprise, without needing to know the locations of the data or the underlying storage technology. With data virtualization, data isn’t moved, but made virtually accessible across an enterprise.
Data federation software provides the ability to join and aggregate disparate data sources in a federation engine for virtual access by an application or query.
Data federation is considered a subset of data virtualization. The standard data federation approach does in fact meet the overall goal of accessing various siloed data sources without using ETL, however, there are still a number of challenges the remain:
- With standard data federation, users of the data are immediately affected once the data federation software is introduced. The query processing remains in the same database silos with data federation, but developers and end users must update their existing codebase.
- There is a potential for performance bottlenecks that might plague the data federation software. More queries against the RDBMS can introduce added resource constraints on database servers that may already be close to CPU processing and memory usage capacity with tie current workload.
There are many reasons why large enterprises need data virtualization including:
- It gives users quicker access to data with hardly any wait time
- The lead time for designing and implementation for data availability is considerably decreased
- Data redundancy is decreased
- There is more responsiveness to change
There are many pros of data virtualization including:
- Reducing IT costs by requiring less hardware servers and other resources, decreasing the administration and management time spent by automating the process, and reducing your digital footprint by lowering the energy consumption.
- Increases efficiency with utilizing your investment in hardware and resources.
- Experience real-time access with the latest version of data available 24/7.